Friday, March 8, 2013

Clinic Day - Take 5! Even More Amazing Interactions!

What an amazing day we had with even more amazing interactions and experiences from the team members experiences.  This was the perfect way to complete the work with the team for week 1.  Followed are the experiences from the individuals team members eyes.

1.  Joyce - The most fun thing that I did today was with a boy named Ivan.  He colored a picture and I said that I would take his "Photo" and so I did.  Again, he colored another picture and I said that I would take a "Photo" and so I did.  For the third time, he colored another picture, approached me and said "Photo".  I had to laugh at that.  It was a great day to be able to provide care to the children and families in a new way versus from the nursing perspective all the time.  It was a great day and relaxing to be able to just play with the kids.

2. Joy - The highlight of my day was when the white dog with black spots returned.  He came to me and put his paws on my chest.  That made me happy and gave me a feeling of satisfaction as there are many domesticated pets that are wandering around the village.  I really realized the difference of the behavior of the children today and they seemed to be more behaved for some reason.  It is hard to say why this behavior changed but I really enjoyed the change in environment.

 3.  Bev - I was in triage today and completing the blood sugar tests.  This one gentleman came to get his blood sugar tested.  He happened to notice on the history sheet that his name looked like Maria.  At this moment, he stood up and began singing because of the misunderstanding that he had.  His name was actually Mario.  After his performance and picking on Juanita, our intake assistant, for her handwriting, he was insistent on me speaking in English to him so that he could practice.  With this appreciation, he gave me the biggest hug that made me really appreciate no matter how little the gesture or interaction, they are very appreciative of what can do for them.

4.  Gail - This was my first chance to see Dr. Musil in her role as a Diabetic Educator.  She provided the education and care for them that we would normally do in three days.  This was an incredible influence on me to see him come to acceptance of his disease.  It is so hard to explain the feeling that I had experienced with this but it was amazing.

5. Chris - The relationship with Juanita today really blossomed.  Over the past couple days, we have been working together and understanding how each of us work despite our language barrier.  Our way of communication was a modified sign language so to speak.  I was excited of the influence that I was able to have on her by changing her practice of wearing gloves and hand sanitizer when providing patient care or obtaining a blood sugar.  It was amazing that something as simple as this could change a persons practice in order to improve the patient experience.

6. Melodie -  The food continues to be delicious!  I enjoyed learning more of the hands-on skills and experiences that will make me a more well rounded and educated pharmacist.

7. Michelle - I appreciated the decreased volume of patients today because I was able to spend more time with them.  This gave me the opportunity to really connect and "listen" to them despite the language barrier.

8. Beth - I had an awesome experience today doing something that is part of my everyday experience at the clinic at home; it is a profound experience to see what gratitude looks like at the same time that you are feeling it in your heart.   We forget the simple things that are the most important sometimes as we get wrapped up in what "we know".  Diabetes is prevalent all over the world, but what we are missing most of the time is the fact that controlling it is impossible without simple human connection.  A good reminder.  A wonderful feeling to be reminded. Although I spent the day teaching, I think I learned things that cannot be taught.

9.  Ernie - (random thoughts:) Today during the examination of children, I gave Melodie and Michelle half of the answers to the pediatric elective exam, which I expect they will ACE next week.  This is the first night that the whole team has been together, although we have been working together during the day.  Now that we have used all of our medications during this first week, we are looking forward to visiting the local pharmacies for supplies in week 2.  I can't wait for the 4 hour scenic bus ride across Guatemala to our next destination!

10.  Dawn - I so enjoyed doing something totally different than my normal work flow.  I was able to participate in the pharmacy and learned some things from Alex.  I was way out of my comfort zone and being challenged in a way that I had not been experienced before.  I was able to counsel patients on medications and in a language that is totally "foreign" to me.  It was  a really great day!

11. Jeremy -  Today was an amazing day.  First, waking up to the same view of Lake Atitlan for the 5th consecutive day.  Followed by another amazing meal by Liz and then preparing for clinic.  Today we saw approximately 70 patients with three providers and a Diabetic Educator, Beth.  A memorable patient that I saw today with Jiyoung was a 12 year old boy.  He came in with congestion, parasites, and cough; as most of the kids did.  When we went to assess him, I noticed that his heart sounds were abnormal as I heard them loudest on the right side of his chest, had clubbed fingers, and cyanosis to nail beds and lips.  I went and asked Ernie to come and take a look at this patient.  In addition to Ernie, I had Dr. Elry come to the room as I knew that we were going to need his expertise as well.  While Ernie and Dr. Elry were in the room with the pharmacy students to see the patient, I asked Dawn if we could use the pulse oximetry that she had brought along because I knew that it would be important to see what his oxygen level would be.  Upon arrival to the room with the equipment and placed it, we found that his oxygen saturation was well below normal, 80% (normal is >90%).  With the expertise of Ernie and Dr. Elry, it was determined that this kid had a significant VSD with potential pulmonary hypertension.  WOW!  This is very rare occurrence here and amazing that was not detected until 12 years later.  Dr. Elry made a referral for this child to see a Cardiologist in Guatemala City for a future repair.  This experience has made me very thankful that I am able to work with a highly qualified and experienced team in order to provide the best patient care here in Guatemala.

It is time to say Goodnight!  and God Bless! 
And by the way... it was sunny and 80 here today!











5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you guys are having a great time and learning a ton! I cannot wait to join you TOMORROW!! Safe travels to those leaving on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Everyone:)
    Wow, you all have been so busy. It really shows on all of your faces that you are all enjoying this experience.

    It's Saturday here and rainy.

    Blessings to you all in the week ahead.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cows?? Where did they come from??

    Thinking of you all!! Jeremy, Joyce, and Ernie.... have you been playing that one card game we played a few years back?? I'd love to be there to see all the amazing children and great friends that we met. I miss all those amazing meals.... YUM!!! Say hello to everyone for me! Be safe, keep healing, keep praying, have fun.... and enjoy some Gallo's :) Send my blessings to everyone :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures are just amazing! I love the cows! I love reading everyone's thoughts about their experiences. I'll continue to pray for all of you...those going home, those staying, and for the new people coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are amazing, truling amazing going all the way to Guatemala and spending all your time on helping others. You are all in my prayers. God bless this trip!

    ReplyDelete